Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Stress is Warping my Sense of What is Important


Hi WP.I feel a bit crazy right now regarding wedding planning, and I keep getting stuck on what seem like minor issues. Maybe you have some advice, or have experienced something similar? I know this is small potatoes compared to the fact that we are getting married shortly which is very exciting, but I am still stuck in a rut regarding these things, so I thought I would mention them here.My FH has lately been contributing DIY ideas to the process. The thing is, I need to make sure I am not overly controlling when I talk with him about his ideas. I appreciate his interest and desire to help, but I don't feel like I'm in the right mental state to manage this when what he is suggesting is not what I had in mind.For background, we are having a casual event at a picnic area in a state park, with the ceremony being held in a nearby aspen grove. He and I will be dressed up, but we put up a "nice jeans or sundresses" suggested dress code for our guests.One DIY idea we have is to take two tree trunks (that were already cut down) and use them as an altar, with flowers in vases set upon them for the ceremony. We have the tree trunks, but last night he said he cut them the same size-- one for each side of the altar-- but they are about an inch to two inches different lengths. It is driving me crazy, and I have to find a way not to obsess over this. I told him tonight we will take a look and see if they are going to be noticeably different heights when they are several feet apart. I don't want to be driven crazy forever in our wedding photos by our tree trunk altar pieces that are uneven. He said he would fix this if he needs to, but I can tell he thinks they are just fine the way they are.The second thing is, I keep talking about signs for the wedding-- we just need one on the side of the road telling people they are on the right track in terms of getting to the venue, and one at the actual venue listing the schedule of events so people won't miss the first dance/cake cutting/etc.He brought these old remax signs (it's a real estate company, for those who don't know) he got that his work was going to recycle. He says we can re-purpose them for the event. He was excited to show me his efforts on this.I think the remax sign holder might work for the notice on the side of the road, but the signs are sort of beat up, and I was hoping for something nicer looking for the venue. I don't want the signs we came up with to look like we pulled them out of the trash! He said he could paint one, and if it still wasn't nice enough, he would think of something else. But that means waiting to see how it will look, instead of just moving forward with purchasing chalk boards from amazon and calling it a day. Which stresses me out even more than if he hadn't suggested anything at all.I guess my problem is, I am getting obsessive about making sure this is a classy an affair as it should be, given the setting and casual approach we're taking. I also just want to enjoy wedding planning with my FH and encouraging his participation, while also ensuring that we don't just go with his suggestions if they are going to drive me crazy in the end. I also want to protect his feelings because he is so sweet and helpful!We have already talked about these ideas and I will see how it goes. I guess I just wanted to vent about how I am stressed and it is making it hard to be objective about wedding planning. via /r/weddingplanning http://ift.tt/2sQC1GP

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts