
Both fiance and I are brown, but we're not sure what to put as the dress-code for the events. We have about 50% Desis and 50% non Desis for wedding guests. I feel like the dress code designations mean different things for Indians vs Americans.We're having a combined Mehndi/Haldi/Sangeet, the four hour long wedding, the cocktail hour and then the reception.For the Mehndi, it'll probably be more casual with all the Indians wearing really bright colorful outfits. This makes me want to put the dress code as garden party......but for Americans garden party translates as it's acceptable to show knees, when really it's just not acceptable at all in an Indian party to show breasts and anything above the knees. Stomach and back are okay.For the wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and receptions, all the Desis will be wearing really elaborate stonework/embroidery, colorful or pastel, floor length outfits. This makes me want to designate the attire as black-tie, but black-tie in America usually means darker gowns and showing boobs is okay (which it never is considered appropriate in Desi culture). Plus, while Desis are used to sitting in formal outfits for hours on end (wedding/cocktail hour/reception), Americans really aren't. And I'd hate to make my friends who don't have gowns go out and spend money on one.Also we're doing buffet, open bar and and DJ. Which in American terms doesn't really translate to black-tie.I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.I didn't expect to have a melt down over this but I think I might be.Edit: Also I know there's a Desi subreddit, but I'd really like a non-Desi's perspective on this. via /r/weddingplanning http://ift.tt/2t3T2RR
No comments:
Post a Comment